Hey strangers! 👋
So it’s been a year since we last posted on our blog. Great bloggers we turned out to be! 😬
We had great intentions, but to be honest, we’ve been too busy having fun!
Around this time last year we made the crazy decision to move out of our houses and sell almost everything we own to become voluntarily homeless, living in Airbnbs full-time.
If you’re expecting to hear that it was a ridiculous idea and it all went terribly wrong, stop reading. It’s honestly been the best year of our lives!
In the past year, we:
- Lived in 22 different Airbnbs
- Lived in 8 different Melbourne neighbourhoods
- Spent 2 months on a road trip up the east coast of Australia
- Travelled to 7 different countries
- Snowboarded in New Zealand
- Went to an ayahuasca retreat in the Amazon jungle
- Visited Machu Picchu in Peru
- Drank Malbec straight from the vine in Argentina
- Visited the world’s highest altitude capital city in Bolivia
- Watched South America’s biggest new year’s eve fireworks show in Chile
- Saw Cherry Blossoms in Japan
- Ran around like kids at Disneyland in Tokyo
- Attended our first Burning Man in the Nevada desert
And those are just the highlights 😀
We both work remotely so we were able to spend 5 months of the year travelling and although those parts were amazing, we’ve equally enjoyed living in so many different neighbourhoods around Melbourne. If only I had some stats on the number of new cafes, restaurants and cocktail bars we’ve been to!
A year on, we’ve also learned to be better minimalists. There’s nothing like having to move something every few weeks to make you really question its existence. Jay’s down to just one suitcase of stuff, I’ve got two. Lola has even managed to get her collection of stuffed toys down to just a few.
Our friends are always asking us if we’re sick of moving all the time and they’re quite surprised when we say we’re not. I think some people assumed it would be a temporary thing, a phase we were going through. Nope. There hasn’t been a single second where we’ve wished we could go back to having a fixed address again. Sure, the moving process isn’t always the most fun, but we’re pretty efficient now that we’ve had so much practice. We don’t miss paying bills, we don’t miss owning a bunch of stuff, we don’t miss cleaning and we definitely don’t miss living in the one place.
And so Airbnb life continues…